Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Many many wines, mostly Loire and Burgs, but a few Bdx and 1Rioja

Today was the 4th annual Peter Luger's Steaks at Peter Pratts event.
organized by Mark Franks. A lot of work went into this (thanks Mark),
but it was a resounding success from my viewpoint -good food, good
wines, good people. I was at one of two tables that were originally
Burgundy themed, but ours took a detour and became the Loire/Burgundy
table. Betsy and I were happy to be at that table, nice balance of
wines.

2004 Pinon Vouvray Brut (magnum)
Fresh baked rolls, apple, a little honied note. For my tastes a far
better deal than most NV Champagne that cost more, not especially
elegant but satisfying bubbly. B+

1989 Huet "Le Haut-Lieu" Vouvray Sec
Wooly, waxy, wovely. B+

1989 Prince Poniatowski "Aigle Blanc Vin de Tris" Vouvray
So my memory of this was sec-tendre, but this was more demi-sec+. We
put into the refrigerator (outside) and revisited later. Pleasant
forthright Chenin, but not especially complex. Some other liked more
than I. B

1995 Fourrier Clos St.-Jacques (magnum)
Corked. Why does it have to be the magnums that are corked?
Too bad, I have a 750 on hold, wanted a datapoint

1996 Fourrier Clos St.-Jacques
This however was quite nice. Lovely earthy/floral/ferric nose, a bit
shyer on palate, but opens with time. Red fruit, nice acids, very nice
wine. B+/A-

1993 Arnoux "Chaumes" Vosne-Romanee
Earthy, smoky, deep rich and tasty. B+/A-

1993 Lamarche "Chaumes"Vosne-Romanee
Sweet and surprisingly ripe for a '93, pleasant but considerably less
complex than the Arnoux. B

(somewhere in here a bunch of appetizers came by- duck quesadillas,
lamb chops, boar spring rolls, shrimp (I presume Gulf, pretty
iodiney)- all tasty)

Mystery wine #1 - a half bottle. In the decanter the nose is gorgeous,
some barnyard and freshly turned earth, I'm guessing mid-80s Gevrey
but apparently missed Jay saying it's not Burgundy. It's a 375 of the
1964 CVNE "Vina Real" Rioja (I didn't notice if this was a Riserva or
GR). B++

1979 Drouhin "Clos des Chenes " Volnay
This opens beautifully with a nose of wild mushrooms, damp earth, and
cherry fruit. A little hightoned, the VA just brightened the wine
without taking away from anything, solid. Within minutes it begins to
seem a bit disjointed. At this point I write " A- on opening, falling
to B-/C+" But Jay points out a surprising resurgence, and indeed it
turns back into a pretty nice if aging Burgundy (though at this point
Betsy thinks it tastes better than it smells).

1979 Latour "Champans" Volnay
A bit jammy and ripe (someone says pruney, but for me that's going a
bit too far). but good length and finish. Never quite realizes the
heights of the Drouhin, but never comes close to the lows. B/B+

a couple from other tables floated by:
1989 Ch,. Margaux
Great nose, that the palate didn't quite live up to. The nose is wild
berries and floral, on the palate it's nice but just a tad foursquare.
B+

1990 Jadot "Clos St. Jacques" Gevrey-Chambertin
A child of the vintage, solid structure, but maybe a touch hot and
fruit running towards jammy. Still, solid core. B

Somewhere in here a mystery bottle was introduced. Unfortunately there
was no mystery that the 1998 Gambal Mazis was corked to the max!

2003 Jadot " Clos de la Barre " Volnay
Ripe redcurrant jelly fruit, low acids, what one might expect. Hard to
pick out as Burgundy or even PN. Still, drinkable red wine. C+

1998 Jadot "Clos de la Barre" Volnay
Fresher acids, more balanced, some smoke and cocoa over solid red
fruit. Bigger style of Volnay, pretty nice. B+/B

(Caesar salad plus a tomato salad that was surprisingly good for Jan
were devoured)

2000 Potel Romanee-St.-Vivant
Sandalwood, spice, bright and lively red fruits. Shows well over a
period of hours, sorry this was my only bottle. A-

2000 DRC Romanee-St-Vivant
This was from nearby table, some trades to compare, as there are
rumors on the source of the Potel fruit. I find noses (red fruit with
an exotic edge) pretty similar, though this is a bit more concentrated
on palate. Lovely lovely wine. A-A

2004 Louis Jadot "Clos St Denis"
There's a bit of greenness on nose, though it doesn't really carry
through to the palate. Nice enough wine, but maybe in an awkward phase
right now, seems a bit subdued. B

(Loire CF time- porterhouse, fries, creamed spinach)

1996 Baudry "Les Grezeaux " Chinon
Solid red and black currant fruit, this is a little muted compared to
the '96 Joquet. Still a solid wine. B/B+

1997 Joguet "Clos de la Dioterie" Chinon
Solid wine, but not as exciting as I'd have expected. Herbs, red and
black fruits, a little mocha note. Nice concentration on palate, but a
tad lacking on finish. B+/B

1996 Joguet "Clos de la Dioterie" Chinon
Beautiful balance of acids, tannins, and fruit, dark berries and
earth, a little tobacco leaf and cocoa. Great match with the steak,
and one of my faves of the day. A-

Some interlopers:
1990 Ch. Montrose
Some found this too bretty, for me the barnyard is an accent not a
dominant feature, rich black fruits. B+/A-

1989 Ch. Angelus
Pretty, medium bodied, good length, nice. B+

1998 Ch. Haut Brion
Young, vigorous, minerally, great length and concentration, but young!
A-/B+

(thanks to Keith, a great assortment of cheeses)

2005 Michele Redde "Cuvee Majorum " Pouilly Fume
Good match with the Boucheron, but no clear memories of this

1988 Huet "Le Haut Lieu" Vouvray Demi-Sec
Yum and double yum, apple cider and honeycomb, very good and fresh. B+

1995 R. Denis Touraine Les Azay Rideau
Sweet fruit and chalky minerals, I know I liked but no note further
notes written.

1989 Foreau/Clos Naudin Vouvray Moelleux Reserve
Lots of sweetness, citrus and honey, acidity keeps it lively, still
quite young. A-

1989 Ch. d'Yquem
Orange marmalade and apricots, some honey, long and complex. A-
*
Very fun day. Was very happy to have Betsy with me (especially since
she was driving home). Nice table, nice wines. Nice to see old friends
and make new ones.