Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default American chopsticks

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston
> and
> Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
> chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
> representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
> don't, I say it's all total crap.
>
> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
> Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
> the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time?
>
> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO
> 0NE
> else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

I get the disposable ones from my stores and use them for a lot of things,
including eating. I'm deft enough for most tasks except for loose rice.
I'm not into the little bowl thing where you shovel food into your moth
while making gulping and slurping sounds loud enough to wake the dead and
then a belch so strong it blows the paper napkins off the table.

I can only handle so much "authentic."

Paul