Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dragonblaze Dragonblaze is offline

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

On 25 Jan, 00:32, FERRANTE > wrote:
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

Risotto is easy to make, but it is labour-intensive, as you have to
stir the risotto all the time as you add the stock. Use either
Arborio, Carnaroli or Vialone Nano rice, otherwise it just won't be
the same.

Here's a simple recipe:

Risotto con Lenticchie e Salamini - Italy

200g green lentils
400g salamini
1 bay leaf
2.5 l vegetable stock
1 small onion, finely chopped
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
200g potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
320g risotto rice
salt and pepper

Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the lentils,
salamini and bay leaf. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15
minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the
onion. Fry over a low heat until soft and translucent. Add the
potatoes, celery, carrots and tomato. Fry gently for 2 minutes. Add
the rice and stir to coat each grain. Stir in 1 ladleful of the broth,
lentils and sausages. Allow to be absorbed into the rice before adding
the next ladleful, stirring continuously. Repeat until all is
incorporated and the rice is creamy and soft, but with a little bite
to the center. Check the seasoning and serve.