Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark

The box mix is just a box of Arborio rice with some instructions. Some
boxes have RISOTTO in large letter with arborio rice in small letters, other
have ARBORIO RICE in large letters and risotto in small letters. Same
thing. I don't like plain white rice, but I do like risotto since it has a
few more ingredients that add a lot of flavor. It also has a creamy
texture.

One you make it, you'll find it is just becomes second nature and pretty
simple to make variations. Sometimes we add mushrooms, other times peas,
other times nothing but the onion that we started with. You can use any
cookware you have, but a saucier is easier to stir and gently and evenly
heat. http://www.copperpans.com/facosa.html

I takes about 18 minutes to cook and takes fairly constant, slow stirring
and small additions of the liquid.