Posted to rec.food.cooking
theron theron is offline

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark

To make risotto you have to use Arborio Rice, or something very equivalent.
The long grain rices don't exude enough starch to make the texture of the
dish. If you do this, and follow the liquid/rice ratio for whatever recipe
you're using, and you gently stir as the liquid is added you will end up
with that creamy rice dish that equates with risotto. It's great with dried
porcinis. Hydrate the mushrooms, and use the soaking liquid as part of your
added liquid.

Theron