Reg

Default (OT) Corned Beef....Help!

Matt NYC wrote:

> Ok....
>
> On Monday, I bought a 7lb Brisket, rubbed it w/ 7tbs tender quick and
> some herbs and spices, basically the Morton's recipe. I wrapped it in
> saran and stuck it in my fridge, weighted with some bottles of beer,
> planning to keep in there for about a week.
>
> The problem is that my p.o.s fridge fluctuates between 33-41 degrees
> and there's not much room to maneuver. I flipped it today and it
> seemed fine, no funky smells, and a nice deep color. But this being
> my first go at this, have no idea what to look for. Is there hope for
> this one, or I should I buy a back-up? Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Keep the coals glowing and the temp. steady,
>
> Matt in NYC

If your temp range was 33-41 F the only risk is that absorption
of the cure was inhibited somewhat. Below about 36 F cure uptake slows
and then at some point stops. You may have seen the warning that the
lowest temperature for a curing product is 36 F. That's why.

Add another day or two to the curing time, try and keep it above 36 F
and don't worry.