Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Thai food recommendation

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:46:29 -0600, Charlene Charette

>My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do
>hot, peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to
>nothing about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something
>it was too hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least
>one dish I could eat. Any recommendations?

Sure, just make Thai food without the chilis, garlic, and ginger.
It will not taste right to anyone who likes spicy Thai food but
it may be just right for you.

It's a relatively easy thing once you have the ingredients.
A basic mild Thai curry goes something like this: sear some
turmeric and fenugreek in oil. Add vegetables (carrot and onion
are typical), then in a few minutes add coconut milk (you may
want the low-fat version), cover and simmer. Then add basil, keffir
lime leaves, lemon grass, and your already-cooked protein
ingredient (tofu, chicken, lamb etc.) and simmer some more.
Traditionalists might want to serve over either jasmine white
rice, or Thai purple rice. Due to the thickness of the coconut
milk, it does not require any thickener or reduction or anything.

If some in the group like it spicy, have some Thai chilis
in white vinegar on the side.

Steve