Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default 1999 Domaine de Charmy Clos Vougeot

On Jan 12, 1:50�am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Jan 11, 8:31�pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > While I always like to taste new things, I must say the GCs from
> > producers you've never heard of are a truly risky bunch. There are
> > probably plenty of producers of Bourgogne or village Pommard, Gevrey,
> > or Santenay that most of us have never heard of. But no name Grand Cru
> > tends to taste more of the no name than the GC! Sorry re the
> > bullshit!!!

> At one time some of the larger stores in the US had house brands of
> wines, and perhaps some still do. I have only one example of such
> which is a GC Burgundy for Macy's "specially selected in France by
> Macy's Famous Taster for Macy's Fine Wine and Liquor Store." It is
> labeled as Vintage 1959, Mise du Domaine, �Marceau Le Chambertin,
> Burgundy Red Table Wine, Appellation Controlee, Exclusively Bottled
> For R. H. Macy & Co., Inc., Bamiberger's, Newark _ N.J. The above
> label information is given in the order it appears on the label. In
> addition "Estate Bottled" in very large red letters is printed over
> the label text at about a 45 degree angle. A tiny back label reads:
> "Imported by Treasury Importing Company - New-York - N.Y." The bottle
> size is 3/4 quart.
>
> The color of the wine now is now quite light as seen through the light
> green neck of the bottle. It could still be good, but I have my
> doubts. One will know much more when the bottle is first opened so
> that it can be seen if the light color is pinkish or tan, in which
> case the wine may stink and have to be discarded. I do know that a
> 1958 DRC La Tache still has a much deeper color as seen through the
> neck than this wine does.

Funny, the Macy's and the "estate bottled" info- I guess the producer
is Marceau?

But who knows, maybe it's great. I've had very good older Burgundys
that were quite light in bottle. Plus Chambertin is a much more
uniform vineyard than Clos Vougeot, Not to mention there was far less
domaine bottlings back then. Whenever you get to it, be sure to post!