Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: non-weekend weekend, with Beaujolais, Bdx, and Cahors

DaleW wrote:

> 2004 Clos la Coutale Cahors
> A Kermit import, but this doesn't strike me as a real traditional
> "black wine" (I usually think of KL as doing more traditionally styled
> wines). Pretty approachable, bright blackberry and elderberry fruit, a
> little hint of vanilla. I like this, though I think the chances of me
> identifying blind as Cahors (or Malbec) are near zero. Very pleasant
> wine. B

From what I recall of Ian H's description of modern-day Cahors, I don't
think that there is much "black wine" in the region. And Clos la
Coutale is historically one of the top estates there IIRC. Your
description doesn't sound at all out of line with my experience of Cahors.

> Today wasn't much of a day off either, I "woveled" out vans before
> driving to city, brought back folks for our annual meeting. By time I
> returned home Betsy was leaving to watch her niece in a track meet,
> but dinner only required me to turn off the kale, put chicken in the
> oven, and prepare the carrots (with orange and ginger). Wine was the
> 2007 George Descombes Regnie. I confess I have no real sense of the
> Regnie cru. Have I ever had one before? I can't recall. My first
> reaction is not especially positive - red cherry and cranberry, but a
> little overly floral. But with just a bit of air it smooths out- still
> floral but more integrated. Red cherry and berry, good acidity, no
> discernible tannin, nice length, a good chicken wine.B/B+

Wassa wovel? As for the Regnie, I have only had one or two myself, so I
can't be much help. I think that I have Descombe's Cote de Brouilly
down in the cellar. Yours was an LDM import?

Mark