Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: non-weekend weekend, with Beaujolais, Bdx, and Cahors

Saturday we had a snowstorm coming in, and I spend most of day (and
hunk of evening) dealing with logistics of balancing keeping
volunteers safe and helping people. But we did manage to break away to
slide up to Sleepy Hollow to join friends for a long-planned "comfort
food" dinner- meatloaf, dairy-rich mashed potatoes, peas, and salad.

2006 Ch. Picau-Perna (St Emilion)
A new one to me. A bit green, light tannins, higher acids. Red plums
and currants. More Entre-Deux-Mers than St Emilion, but certainly
drinkable. B-

2004 Clos la Coutale Cahors
A Kermit import, but this doesn't strike me as a real traditional
"black wine" (I usually think of KL as doing more traditionally styled
wines). Pretty approachable, bright blackberry and elderberry fruit, a
little hint of vanilla. I like this, though I think the chances of me
identifying blind as Cahors (or Malbec) are near zero. Very pleasant
wine. B

Today wasn't much of a day off either, I "woveled" out vans before
driving to city, brought back folks for our annual meeting. By time I
returned home Betsy was leaving to watch her niece in a track meet,
but dinner only required me to turn off the kale, put chicken in the
oven, and prepare the carrots (with orange and ginger). Wine was the
2007 George Descombes Regnie. I confess I have no real sense of the
Regnie cru. Have I ever had one before? I can't recall. My first
reaction is not especially positive - red cherry and cranberry, but a
little overly floral. But with just a bit of air it smooths out- still
floral but more integrated. Red cherry and berry, good acidity, no
discernible tannin, nice length, a good chicken wine.B/B+