Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default Any ideas for fresh limes?

"A R Pickett" > wrote:
> My brother and his wife live near Orlando, and have citrus trees on their
> property. Each year we get a shipment round Xmas time.
>
> Most of my prior uses for them involved a sugary dessert of some type,
> but since discovering T2 in August, that's out.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA!

Ceviche - Jesse [my Hispanic son-in-law and one funny guy - Nick]

I grew up watching how my family made their ceviche and it has always been
a matter of guesstimation. It was meant to be eaten as an appetizer rather
than a main course but as time went by it became a meal. Ceviche is
basically uncooked fish that is marinated in lime juice and salt, the
citrus acids basically cook the fish so to speak (Shoot for at least 8
hours INSIDE THE FRIDGE, just to make sure the lime acid kills any microbes
which the fish might contain). As per the type of fish to use, Thresher
shark, sierra mackerel are pretty good choices for it; although lately I
have been using ground fish bought from Vallarta, they only offer ground
Tilapia and it has worked fairly well.

Once the fish is ready it will look white and will have a mushy consistency
(Ceviche is meant to be a spread but not a jailhouse one) Add chopped
cilantro, chopped cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, and finely chopped onions.
Fold the veggies onto the fish and serve over tostadas, with your choice of
hot sauce or any type of fresh chillies can be chopped and added onto the
mix if desired.

Serve cold and make sure to drink beer with it. (Try using any of the
Anheuser Busch Brands HA HA HA!) [He works for them - Nick]

With 3lbs. of fish I usually use about 7 to 8 limes, some salt to
counteract the tartness. About 5 large cucumbers, 4 large tomatoes(not roma
sweetness is not the goal) 1/2 White Onion and 1 bundle of cilantro leafy
side.

Word of caution when dealing with uncooked seafood as fresh as it might be,
not everyone's digestive system might be ready for it.

[He and my daughter, Sai, make this every couple of weeks]

*************************************

Ceviche de Baja [I haven't made this, but it sounds good to me - Nick]

6 cups Mexican Ceviche (recipe immediately following)
1/2 head lettuce, shredded
12 fried flat tortillas
2 cups guacamole
2 cups Chihuahua or Jack cheese, grated
1 cup salsa fresca and/or salsa verde

HOW TO MAKE THE CEVICHE

Ceviche originated in places where seafood was plentiful but
refrigeration rare. Ceviche is usually served as an appetizer, but is
wonderful in these tostadas as well. It's delicious, low in calories and
has become popular all over California, Baja and mainland Mexico because
of its subtle but spicy taste.

2 pounds cubed white fish or bay scallops, raw
5 - 10 fresh Serrano or jalapeņo chiles, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
3 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 avocado, diced
1 bunch cilantro, with stems removed and diced
1 tsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice

In a large bowl combine all ingredients except l/2 the avocado and
cilantro. Toss gently but thoroughly, making sure all fish is coated
with lemon-lime mixture.

Cover and refrigerate for one to three hours, stirring occasionally.
Fish should become quite white and scallops will lose translucent
appearance. (Once this happens, you will know that the lemon juice has
"cooked" them and they are quite okay to eat.) Just prior to serving,
add avocado and top with remaining cilantro.

Spoon the chilled ceviche directly onto fried flat tortillas. Top with
listed toppings and serve immediately.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.