Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Julie, you don't tell them. My husband is the same way. So I take it
>>> out of the freezer, pop it out of the plastic container, put it in a pot
>>> to heat very slowly, and to thaw. By the time it is lunchtime, it
>>> smells really good and he will then eat it. But if I ask him if he
>>> wants this or that soup from the freezer, he says no.

>> I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to me.

> If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are not
> doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the flavors
> meld together better.

It's not the flavor. I don't like the texture of most stuff after it has
been frozen. I don't really even like frozen vegetables. My parents eat
them now, but growing up we only had canned or fresh.

There is also something about leftovers I just don't like. I don't know
what it is. It's not one particular thing. I have sometimes cooked a lot
of stuff and used the leftovers for days.

When I ate pancakes, I used to make tons and freeze them. Also did the same
with muffins. I just can't eat stuff out of the freezer any more. If I do
try to eat it, I am just put off by it and wind up throwing it out most of
the time.

I did cook up a ton of ground beef and froze it when I went to Costco before
the storm hit. The only ground beef they had came in a huge package. I
normally buy their 3 packs of 1 pound packages and we can usually use them
up before they go bad. Occasionally I have to put one in the freezer where
it usually stays until it has become frost bitten and I throw it out about a
year later. I am sometimes forced to use the frozen meat but it's very
difficult to remove from the package. I never can remember to take it from
the freezer so it thaws and I dislike what the microwave does to meat when
you try to thaw it that way.

Maybe I am just spoiled or something. My step grandpa refused to eat any
leftovers ever. My dad generally wouldn't eat them. Not that we ever had
leftovers in our house except for occasional turkey and meatloaf. We
generally only had meatloaf prior to a road trip and we'd have the leftovers
cold the following day. All these years I assumed my mom made one meatloaf
and we had the leftovers from that. But when I make a meatloaf at home,
there are never any leftovers. I just recently learned that she made two of
them and just stuck the 2nd one straight into the fridge for the next day.

One story that does stand out in my mind was the "spaghetti red". This is
what my family calls macaroni, beef and tomatoes. My grandma came to take
care of us while my mom was in the hospital. She had 8 kids so was used to
cooking huge amounts. She made a pot of this and we had it for breakfast,
lunch and dinner the entire time my mom was gone. She (unlike the other
grandma) didn't believe in wasting food. I got sooo sick of eating that I
couldn't touch the stuff again for years.