Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Got my 6 qt crockpot

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove wrote:
: >> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do
: >> with a crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup
: >> mugs that are unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we
: >> keep breaking them.
: >
: > I use mine almost entirely for soups and stews. I love lamb shank stew and
: > lentil soup best.

: Thanks! Lamb must be cheap there. Here it costs about a dollar a bite so
: not something I buy much of. Occasionally I will let Angela have a lamb
: kebob from the store, but husband won't eat it and not something I fancy
: trying.

: I like lentil soup, but nobody else in the family does. They won't eat bean
: soup either. So I just go without or on a rare occasion get something in a
: can.
You can make nice chicken soup in th crock pot or soup stocks(chicken,
beef, veal, etc) Just load it up loslly with the meaty bones add soms
onion and carrot and celery, some salt and pepper and then add water to
the top(it will fill all the interstices between the bones and veggies) .
Start on high to get it hot fast and then turn it down to low and let it
go all day or all night.

This makes a excellent bse for all kinds of other soups. If you like, yu
can roast the bones or chicken in pieces in a hot oven until browned
before crockpotting the stock. Freeze whar you don't need for later quick
soups.

I also used to make a dish years ago when I was going to school some
nights that I could leave for my husbad to just serve out to himself aand
the kids. I cana't find the exact recipe, but it was beef potting roast,
saurkraut and some kind of tomato, either canned or ketchup, probably the
former. It was good and kind of like a quick and dirty saubraten. I am
sure you would want some onions, freshly ground black pepper and maaybe
some garlic(it never hurts except in desseert:-) You could probably also
put in some carrots to use as a vegetable.

Wendy