Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S Alan S is offline

Default Got my 6 qt crockpot

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 08:03:41 +1100, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Lamb kebabs cost the same as beef or chicken ones but lamb cuts from the
>butcher are an obscene price. Every so often a special comes up though and I
>grab a few shanks. They melt in your mouth in the crockpot. In soups I use
>lentils or barley or some kind of beans. Pasta and rice turn to mush. I also
>use less in a crockpot than I would in a casserole dish or saucepan as they
>soften and plump more (talking the beans, barley, lentils etc now). My crock
>pot stews and soups are based around lots of veggies. Basically carrot,
>turnip, onion, garlic, celery (plus the leaves, chopped), some cabbage if I
>have it as it bulks it out, and always a large can of crushed tomatoes,
>juice and all. That means I only have to put in a little water, if any. I
>use stewing meats and they melt in your mouth. Sometimes chicken or lamb
>shanks but mostly beef. I use ham hocks or bacon bones for soups usually
>plus a bit more water and the lentils/barley.

I'm not sure about Sydney prices. Here there are a few
butchers who use loin and chump chops as "loss leaders" on
certain days to get customers in the door. We have a couple
in Tweed Heads that I buy from for $9-$13 Kg; forequarter
chops for the BBQ or Irish stews etc are often half that
price.

There may be similar places near your new place. Or maybe we
can have "meet at the butchers" Tuesdays in Tweed:-)

Shanks here can sometimes be more expensive.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Inspiration)