Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S Alan S is offline

Default Got my 6 qt crockpot

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 13:04:00 +0000, Nicky
> wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 23:04:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>Not really casseroles. At least not most of them. A lot of those use pasta
>>or rice and in most cases it doesn't do well in the crockpot. And most call
>>for some kind of cream of something or other soup which we can't eat.

>LOL - Julie, NONE of Alan's recipes, or mine, for a casserole would
>call for pasta, or rice, or "cream of something or other" - you
>Americans have done something completely your own with the concept;
>the original version is a combo of whatever meat, beans, grains, and
>veggies you have around, flavoured with whatever spices you have
>handy, and cooked in whatever liquid you like. So perfectly suited to
>crockpot cooking, where you just reduce the liquid volumes. Experiment
>away...
>
>Nicky.

Beat me to it. Officially the difference between a casserole
and a stew is that the casserole is slow-baked in an oven
and the stew is simmered in a pot on the stove. The word is
actually related to the French dish used for the baking. A
cassoulet, which I made recently, is a form of casserole
including beans.

All are intended to be slow-cooked and would be ideal for
cooking in a crock-pot.

I posted a few ideas here, I just made some of these in a
batch in the oven last Friday and put single serves in the
freezer for future fast foods:

Breakfast Stew, Low Carb
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...-low-carb.html

Beef Burgundy
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...-burgundy.html

Sweet Curry
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...eet-curry.html

This one from the ABC "The cook and the chef" show is a bit
fussy to make, but I think it could be modified for
crock-pot:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1697684.htm

My only carb change was to omit the crust and use 1/3 of the
"beans pot" quantities (I used some leftover beans of
uncertain denomination:-). That one tasted good as a brekky
in small serves with no spike.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg