Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

Evelyn > wrote:
: Hi Wendy :-)

: Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered. He
: will be eating only liquids and soft stuff for a day or two. So soup is
: the best way to go during that time. (I am very glad I made all that soup
: now!)

: I bought a big bag of broccoli florets, and I think I will make a quick
: cream of broccoli soup for him out of it, so he has something he can eat
: when he gets home and when he feels up to sipping on something.

: I steam the broccoli till it is tender, and save the liquid. In a large
: pot, melt some butter, sautee some onion in it, then add all your dry
: seasonings..... garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a few tablespoons of flour.

: Make sure all the flour is completely soaked up with the melted butter. No
: dry white bits at all.... add more butter if you have miscalculated. Take
: your time at this point, because the next step requires close attention.

: Add a good quantity of milk and the broccoli liquid back to the pot, and
: cook and stir constantly till you get a thickened product. Now finely chop
: the broccoli and add it back to the pot also.

: For hubby, today I will use my wand blender to make the soup totally
: pulverized and creamy so he has nothing to chew on, but in ordinary
: circumstances I would do a sort of half and half thing. I would ordinarily
: blend half the broccoli but leave some small pieces so there is something of
: the veggies to chew on in the soup.

: A nice addition would be to melt some shredded cheddar cheese into the
: thickened sauce before adding the broccoli.

: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

that should also be good with some curry powder in it too. Sounds lovely!

Wendy