Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> > As to tripe, you might like this:
>> >
>> > Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.
>> >
>> > Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely
>> > rich Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.

> []
>> Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it
>> then throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I
>> prepared tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and
>> unpleasant. Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was
>> supposed to par boil it.

> I suppose you could do that. People soak game foods, including lamb and
> trout, in buttermilk to get rid of the 'gaminess'. I like to taste what
> makes one food different from another. Kidney, like shark meat, should be
> parboiled to remove the urine. Cleaning thoroughly isn't the same. Tripe
> should be cleaned. I rub between my hands in cold water. Chitlins should
> be
> VERY WELL cleaned (don't forget to turn them inside out!), but I never
> parboil them. YMMV

I have never eaten chitlins, and probably will never prepare them either,
but tripe is interesting in pepper pot soup, and I thought I could perhaps
try for that flavor. I was told by an Italian lady that you throw away the
first cooking water in order to get rid of the strong gaminess when cooking
tripe. I haven't tried it, preferring to wait till someone who knew
exactly could advise me on it.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world