Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
>
> : "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> : m...
> : > When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
> : > up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
> : > That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long.
> ...Hubby
> : > doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants
> don't
> : > seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.
>

> : Wow, you did train them well!
>
> : Soups are not only healthy, but good diet food, and very economical.
> For
> : some reason soups are no longer as popular as they once were. Perhaps
> with
> : the economy as it is, they will grow in popularity again.
>
> : There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells
> used
> : to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
> : delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is
> time
> : to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.
>
> : Some of the soups I made regularly are; chicken vegetable, Italian
> Wedding
> : soup, chicken broth with Matzo balls, Beef mushroom barley, Lentil, Ham
> : barley, and various cream of vegetable soups, such as cream of spinach,
> : cream of broccoli, cream of potato and Minestrone.
>
> : As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
> : anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with
> tripe,
> : and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make the
> : others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
> with.
> : The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition of
> Okra
> : and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.
> : --
> : --
> : Best Regards,
> : Evelyn
>
> Stop! Stop! You are driving me to the soup pot:-) I am getting hungry
> just reading all this. Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
> meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals! I wil do some
> soup for next week which will also last us for quite a few days. I don't
> freez a great deal of my soups, just a quart or so, as I have only a top
> freezer. In the winter I love eating that way as it reduces the amount
> of dinner cooking and makes the time a effort very worth while.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy :-)

Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered. He
will be eating only liquids and soft stuff for a day or two. So soup is
the best way to go during that time. (I am very glad I made all that soup
now!)

I bought a big bag of broccoli florets, and I think I will make a quick
cream of broccoli soup for him out of it, so he has something he can eat
when he gets home and when he feels up to sipping on something.

I steam the broccoli till it is tender, and save the liquid. In a large
pot, melt some butter, sautee some onion in it, then add all your dry
seasonings..... garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a few tablespoons of flour.

Make sure all the flour is completely soaked up with the melted butter. No
dry white bits at all.... add more butter if you have miscalculated. Take
your time at this point, because the next step requires close attention.

Add a good quantity of milk and the broccoli liquid back to the pot, and
cook and stir constantly till you get a thickened product. Now finely chop
the broccoli and add it back to the pot also.

For hubby, today I will use my wand blender to make the soup totally
pulverized and creamy so he has nothing to chew on, but in ordinary
circumstances I would do a sort of half and half thing. I would ordinarily
blend half the broccoli but leave some small pieces so there is something of
the veggies to chew on in the soup.

A nice addition would be to melt some shredded cheddar cheese into the
thickened sauce before adding the broccoli.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world