Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily.
>> > The food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they
>> > routinely use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local
>> > contact person said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.
>> >
>> > The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.

>> Interesting. Husband's family is Italian and I've been told they come
>> from Sicily. Could explain why husband puts so much salt on everything.

> Does he know what village, town, city or region? My Grandfather came from
> Giardini-Naxos, on the east end of Sicily, between Taormina and Catania.

No. They seem not to know much about the relatives in the old country, but
oddly many of his relatives have gone back to visit and said they visited
relatives. I have had people contact me online to see if we are related,
but I just don't know.

> Mediterranian sea salt is tasty. I like a few crystals on a Tbs of olive
> oil or a slice of tomato, but, as AlanS says, "All things in moderation,
> except laughter!"

I only use sea salt these days. It's delicious on popcorn. To me it tastes
buttery.