Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> [ . . . ]
>> As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
>> anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with
>> tripe, and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make
>> the others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
>> with. The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition
>> of Okra and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.

> Campbell soups used to have a lot of salt in them. I'm sure yours are
> healthier.
>
> As to tripe, you might like this:
>
> Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.
>
> Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely rich
> Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> 1-3/4 pound (800 g) tripe, diced
> 2 ounces (50 g) lard (substitute oil if you prefer)
> 1 onion
> 3 plum tomatoes
> 2 cloves garlic (optional)
> 2 eggplants, sliced and fried
> 1/2 pound (200 g) ground veal cooked in sauce (see below)
> 2 ounces (50 g) grated seasoned caciocavallo Sicilian cheese
> 1/4 pound (100 g) fresh primosale (extremely fresh Sicilian cheese as
> opposed to seasoned - pecorino cheese if need be), thinly sliced
> A small bunch parsley, minced
> 2 cloves, ground
> A pinch ground cinnamon
> 3 eggs, 2 hard boiled and sliced, and the other fresh
> 1/3 cup olive oil
> Salt & pepper to taste
>
> PREPARATION:
>
> Sauté the onion in the lard until lightly browned in an ovenproof pot. The
> original recipe contains neither tomatoes nor garlic, but they've crept in
> over the years. Therefore add them, together with the tripe, a few drops
> of
> oil, salt, pepper, parsley, and the spices (cinnamon and cloves, to
> taste).
> Stir well to combine, bring to a boil and remove from the fire when all is
> heated through.
>
> Pour the contents of the pot into a bowl. Don't wash the pot, but rather
> refill it, layering it with the eggplant, the tripe, and then the ground
> meat; dust the meat with some grated caciocavallo (don't put all of it
> into
> the filling, however) and cover with a few slices of primo sale, then
> repeat with more layers until all is used up. Sprinkle the oil over the
> top
> and spread the hard boiled eggs over it too.
>
> Lightly beat the fresh egg and mix the remaining caciocavallo into it,
> together with salt, pepper, and a little more parsley. Spread this mixture
> over the top and bake, covered, in the oven (400 F, 200 C) until it is
> bubbling nicely, then remove cover and continue baking 'til it's nicely
> [...]

Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it then
throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I prepared
tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and unpleasant.
Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was supposed to par
boil it.

Ev

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world