Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Shipping wine in winter?

On Jan 1, 5:05�pm, Jim Lovejoy > wrote:
> "Zeppo_m" > wrote :
>
> > Hi,
> > Any issues with buying wine online and having it shipped this time of
> > year?

> There can be. �Usually there's more of an issue having the wine shipped in
> the heat of summer.
>
> But if either the source, or your place is under 10 F (guideline from one
> of the wine auction places on the web) it can be risky.
>
> > I bought a wine in the Finger Lakes area over the summer that I really
> > loved (Red Newt Red EFT) and I'd like to get some more. I found it
> > online and was about to order when I had visions of ice crystal laden
> > bottles arriving at my door.

> I've read (on this group) that ice crystals in the bottles aren't likely to
> ruin the wine. �But if it gets frozen enough to push the cork out, or crack
> the bottle, then the wine is ruined.
>
> I'd think that if you look for a time when the low temperatures at both
> finger lakes, and your place is in the 20s or above, you should be OK.
>

> > Can someone guide me on this?

> I don't know your address, but if you live in a frigid area of the country
> you may have to wait til March. �I think, (someone more familiar with the
> area would have better info), that even though Finger Lakes has cold
> winters, your likely to find a window where the lows will be well over 10 F
> with a probable wait of only a couple weeks.
>
> Hope this helps.

It all depends on where you are. I think Jim L has the basics right.
One disclaimer- if you are in Pacific NW temperate conditions on both
ends might not mean as much if shipment is likely to go through ND and
it's -6 there.

I'm in southern NY and before doing a West Coast shipment in winter I
usually check temps in Chicago (or Phoenix and Houston in summer). If
I know shipper uses styro, I don't worry about low temps of 20 along
route. Cardboard shippers are less forgiving.

Overall cold is only an issue if you think there is a chance bottles
will go below 25 for extended period, causing freezing that might
cause seal to fail. Shorter cold might lead to harmless precipitates.
Generally I worry much more about heat than cold.