Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
> anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with
> tripe, and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make
> the others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
> with. The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition
> of Okra and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.

Campbell soups used to have a lot of salt in them. I'm sure yours are
healthier.

As to tripe, you might like this:

Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.

Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely rich
Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.

INGREDIENTS:

1-3/4 pound (800 g) tripe, diced
2 ounces (50 g) lard (substitute oil if you prefer)
1 onion
3 plum tomatoes
2 cloves garlic (optional)
2 eggplants, sliced and fried
1/2 pound (200 g) ground veal cooked in sauce (see below)
2 ounces (50 g) grated seasoned caciocavallo Sicilian cheese
1/4 pound (100 g) fresh primosale (extremely fresh Sicilian cheese as
opposed to seasoned - pecorino cheese if need be), thinly sliced
A small bunch parsley, minced
2 cloves, ground
A pinch ground cinnamon
3 eggs, 2 hard boiled and sliced, and the other fresh
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

PREPARATION:

Sauté the onion in the lard until lightly browned in an ovenproof pot. The
original recipe contains neither tomatoes nor garlic, but they've crept in
over the years. Therefore add them, together with the tripe, a few drops of
oil, salt, pepper, parsley, and the spices (cinnamon and cloves, to taste).
Stir well to combine, bring to a boil and remove from the fire when all is
heated through.

Pour the contents of the pot into a bowl. Don't wash the pot, but rather
refill it, layering it with the eggplant, the tripe, and then the ground
meat; dust the meat with some grated caciocavallo (don't put all of it into
the filling, however) and cover with a few slices of primo sale, then
repeat with more layers until all is used up. Sprinkle the oil over the top
and spread the hard boiled eggs over it too.

Lightly beat the fresh egg and mix the remaining caciocavallo into it,
together with salt, pepper, and a little more parsley. Spread this mixture
over the top and bake, covered, in the oven (400 F, 200 C) until it is
bubbling nicely, then remove cover and continue baking 'til it's nicely
browned. Serve with Nerello di Marsala, a dry red.

MANGIA! MANGIA!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.