Posted to rec.food.equipment
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Pizzele maker

The Cook wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:20:58 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

> >Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >>
> >> Two days before Christmas our 30 year old pizzele maker died. This is
> >> tragic as my wife's pizzeles are a prized gift that many look forward to
> >> every years. She makes three or four types (vanilla, chocolate, anise, and
> >> this year orange)
> >>
> >> A friend offered hers (used only once) and we tried it. No go. Most of the
> >> brands of pizzele/waffle makers in the stores are crap. The pizzele is too
> >> thick, the waffle portion is not deep enough, etc. We have standards to
> >> uphold! The original was made by C. Palmer Manufacturing and that is what I
> >> want. None to be found locally.
> >>
> >> I ordered the Model 1000 from www.fantes.com as they are a good outfit and
> >> it was $15 cheaper than other places. We were amazed that it is exactly the
> >> same as it was made 30 years ago. Still made in the USA, still high
> >> quality. Some people do care.
> >> --
> >> Ed
> >> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

> >What exactly died in the old one? There isn't much to them and what
> >could potentially die is pretty easy to repair or replace. Power cord,
> >thermostat, heating element is about it and all can be readily sourced
> >from an appliance parts place.
> >
> >Too many folks are stuck in the wasteful "just throw it out and get a
> >new one" mentality. I'm no tree hugger, but I'll only throw something
> >out and replace it in two cases, first if the dead item was inadequate
> >to begin with, or second if a repair is truly hopeless.

> You are lucky to be able to fix everything yourself. Not everyone
> can. And even if you can, the cost of repairs can be more than the
> cost of a new one, sometime several times.

The economics depend on the item being repaired and your repair
abilities, but most of the time the repair costs less than the
replacement. I had a motorized damper door on my fridge fail (plastic
door broke), the replacement assembly that contained the damper door was
something like $160. I fabricated a replacement door in my shop in about
30 min from scrap materials and it's worked perfectly ever since.