Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

Evelyn > wrote:

: "Jacquie" > wrote in message
: m...
: > When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
: > up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
: > That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
: > doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
: > seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

: Wow, you did train them well!

: Soups are not only healthy, but good diet food, and very economical. For
: some reason soups are no longer as popular as they once were. Perhaps with
: the economy as it is, they will grow in popularity again.

: There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells used
: to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
: delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is time
: to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

: Some of the soups I made regularly are; chicken vegetable, Italian Wedding
: soup, chicken broth with Matzo balls, Beef mushroom barley, Lentil, Ham
: barley, and various cream of vegetable soups, such as cream of spinach,
: cream of broccoli, cream of potato and Minestrone.

: As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
: anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with tripe,
: and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make the
: others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth with.
: The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition of Okra
: and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.
: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

Stop! Stop! You are driving me to the soup pot:-) I am getting hungry
just reading all this. Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals! I wil do some
soup for next week which will also last us for quite a few days. I don't
freez a great deal of my soups, just a quart or so, as I have only a top
freezer. In the winter I love eating that way as it reduces the amount
of dinner cooking and makes the time a effort very worth while.

Wendy