Posted to rec.food.equipment
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Pizzele maker

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> Fantes can be that very place to find quality products, too, I have found,
> reasonably priced, and shipping pretty good.
>
> 30 years ago, too, (well almost) when I lived in Hawaii I had a hankering
> to buy a pizzelle maker, but I can't remember why it was on my mind. This
> is how I got it - a guy my husband worked with had his mother go to Sears,
> pick it up (it could have been a Presto brand), and pack it in her bags
> when she flew over to visit. My, how transportation has changed for me!
>
> But I was soooo disappointed with it, that even though I tried it a few
> more times, the unit got dismissed somewhere along the line. My point:
> I'm sympathizing with you about losing your original, because indeed most
> appliances ARE not that great.
>
> I notice on fantes' site that the VillaWare manufacture brands were
> discontinued. I would probably have overlooked the Palmer, and gone for
> VillaWare, as I love my VillaWare panini grill.
>
> I noticed after looking at the recipes included, there is/was a model that
> was non-stick. I can't see that it was an offering at Fantes, but did you
> consider a non-stick in Palmer? The PDF recipes that you can click on
> were definitely outdated: calling for "oleo" :-)) and crisco, of course,
> with recipe for 12 dozen. That tickled me.
>
> Made in USA and upholding a standard and not price jabbing; Great!
>
> Dee Dee

When we lived in Philly, we'd go to Fantes once in a while for kitchen
stuff. Good selection and fair prices.

We don't see any need for nonstick as properly seasoned, the waffle does not
stick at all. Often, things don't seem as crispy with a Teflon coating so
why take chances? Below is the recipe my wife uses. It keeps a few days in
the refrigerator if you mix it in advance. We usually put the pizzelle iron
on a table in the family room and watch TV while making them.

Pizzelles

Ingredients:

6 eggs at room temperature

1 1/3 cups sugar

1/2 lb margarine, softened

4 cups flour

1 T baking powder

3 T vanilla or 2 T anise

Beat eggs, adding sugar gradually. Beat until smooth.

Add melted margarine and vanilla. Sift flour and baking powder together and
add to the egg mixture.

Mix until smooth batter is sticky but loose enough to be dropped by spoon.

Makes 80 to 100

Optional: Crush anise seed with mortar and pestle and add to
mixture.

Add cocoa mix to make a chocolate version