Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Any (electric) deep-fryer recommendations?

On Jan 1, 8:16�am, Becca > wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >> What's a drainage spout and/or removeable interior pan?

> >> Define huge. �What are you cooking? �For how many are you cooking?

> > The bigger the fryer the better. Small fryers drop the temperature too
> > much when you put anything other than a very small amount in to be
> > cooked. Large fryers have enough hot fat to maintain a high temperature,
> > and that makes things nice and crispy instead of greasy and soggy.

> Most of us do not fry foods very often. �The last food I fried was crab
> rangoon, and it was for a party, so I had to cook lots of it. �Like you
> mentioned, you have to maintain a high temperature to get light, crispy
> food, in stead of a greasy mess. I use a cast iron pot, because cast
> iron maintains a high temperature. �

I use a plain ol' heavy aluminum pot with a fry basket... it's rare I
do deep frying but when I do it's usually a large volume. Amazon
carries some nice deep frying set ups.

> I have a deep fryer in a box, that
> someone gave me as a gift, but I have not tried it out. Maybe I should
> try it. �Donuts sound good.

Crullers are luscious... you only need to decide if you want boy or
girl donuts.

> I am looking at this blender on Woot, and it is $149.99. �I did not know
> blenders were this expensive.
>
> http://www.woot.com/

Oh, you can spend a lot more... there are blenders out there that
rival Evinrude.

http://www.nextag.com/professional-blenders/search-html

Of course if you'e really, really serious:
http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=5668