Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
> up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
> That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
> doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
> seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

Wow, you did train them well!

Soups are not only healthy, but good diet food, and very economical. For
some reason soups are no longer as popular as they once were. Perhaps with
the economy as it is, they will grow in popularity again.

There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells used
to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is time
to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

Some of the soups I made regularly are; chicken vegetable, Italian Wedding
soup, chicken broth with Matzo balls, Beef mushroom barley, Lentil, Ham
barley, and various cream of vegetable soups, such as cream of spinach,
cream of broccoli, cream of potato and Minestrone.

As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with tripe,
and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make the
others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth with.
The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition of Okra
and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world