Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

Nicky > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >Ingredients

> Cheers, Nick - I have an excess of cabbage, and some sea salt, on hand
> atm - might give that a go later! I'm not fond of the softness of
> bought cabbage.

It should be the bomb, Nicky! Kim chee isn't much more difficult.

Kim Chee

Ingredients :

1 med Chinese (napa) cabbage head - (about 2 lbs)
4 tsp salt
6 garlic cloves minced
3 green onions, including tops minced
2 tsp minced ginger
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs sesame oil
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground toasted Sichuan peppercorns
6 dried chile peppers

Method :

Cut the cabbage lengthwise into sections about 2 inches wide; remove
the core. Cut each section crosswise into 2-inch lengths. Place the
cabbage in a large bowl, sprinkle it with the salt, and toss to mix
well. Cover with an inverted plate and weight it down with a heavy
object, such as a large juice can or a 1-quart jar filled with water.
Let stand for 3 minutes. Lightly rinse the cabbage under cold running
water and drain. Squeeze it to extract most of the liquid.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cabbage
and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a glass bowl or crock. Cover
with an inverted plate and weight down with a heavy object. A large bag of
water will conform nicely to the crock or bowl. Refrigerate for at least 4
days or up to 2 years before eating.

Comments: Kim chee is one of the treasures of Korean cooking; a
Korean meal served without it would seem almost bland. The most
popular vegetable for kim chee is Chinese (napa) cabbage, which is
salted, mixed with spices, and allowed to ferment to the desired
degree of tartness. Serve this spicy side dish in small portions, just
as you would any pickled vegetable.

Yield: 2 1/2 to 3 cups

I added about 1/2 Tbs of fish sauce and used toasted sesame oil.
Steve Wertz [my Texas buddy - makes the best Kim Chee this side of Korea]

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.