Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> > []

>> Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these
>> ingredients on hand.

> []
>
> Sounds lazy-good, Ev. Fortunately, I have a house full of slaves to do my
> cooking! ;-D

I am the only one around here. Sometimes I can con my husband into helping
a little, but not much. Fortunately I love to cook, and have a large
freezer, which I keep stocked.

This thanksgiving, a local grocery store gave out free turkeys or free hams,
whichever one you wanted. The hams were not low salt, as I'd had that
brand before, and we'd had our fill of turkey already at that point.

So I took a ham thinking I would solve the salt problem some way. It was a
huge ham, far too large for the two of us, so I put off using it till
yesterday. I knew it would be a big job.

I decided to boil the ham to solve the salty problem, and in the process get
a nice big pot of broth for soup. That worked out very well, and once it
was cooked through, I removed the ham to the side to cool.

I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting pot
of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it was done.
While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger chunks were
sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and added back into
the pea soup.

I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches, whatever.

Today we put the pea soup in plastic containers and froze it. Some I gave
to my neighbor so they will get a nice lunch out of it too. We tend to
like to have home made soup for lunches. This batch turned out really
good.

There are so many great kinds of soup that can be made from ham broth.
Various bean soups always are excellent, but I also make a
ham/vegetable/barley soup that is to die for, from ham broth as well.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world