Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jacquie Jacquie is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

. ..

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I usually
>> take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place
>> it on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we
>> also have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
>> Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers
>> Father was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom
>> always fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut

> I grew up in Ohio, and we had the same meal. The tradition was to serve
> sauerkraut, pork, mashed potatoes, and sometimes applesauce at midnight.
> That supposedly brought wealth and good luck. We bought the type of
> sauerkraut sold in flexible bags (from the refrigerated sectionof the
> grocery). My mother would rinse the sauerkraut several times, then cook
> large quantities of that with lots of port buried in it. She would use
> pork chops, pork ribs, and sometimes even some sausage. It would be slow
> cooked all day, and the pork would be so tender that it would fall apart
> as we scooped it out of the roaster.
>
> MaryL

My BIL used to live in Columbus and my FIL lives up North of there(we don't
keep in touch) My BIL past away last year. You may have heard of the
Brubakers..I hear they are all over PA and Ohio My hubby's family were
Quakers in the early days...then became Brethren. hey have allot of history
but no one thought it important to record it.
We have our dinner on New Years Day since Hubby can't stay up until
midnight..LOL..