Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

Nicky > wrote:
> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>
> >We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork.

> Do you make your own sauerkraut?

Easy to do:

Sauerkraut 1

Ingredients

3 to 5 lbs shredded cabbage
3 tablespoons SEA SALT)

Directions

Shred cabbage finely. I use my ceramic Crock Pot insert or you can use a
Clay Pot. Mix cabbage and salt with your hands. Sprinkle salt on the
cabbage as you go. The salt pulls water out of the cabbage and this creates
the brine in which the cabbage can ferment and sour without rotting.
Fermentation will be complete in 10 to 12 days. Cover kraut with a plate or
some other lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a clean weight on
the inside . This weight is to force water out of the cabbage and then keep
the cabbage submerged under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a cloth
to keep dust and criters out. Check the kraut every couple of days and Skim
off the surface.Taste the kraut. Generally it starts to be tangy after a
few days, and the taste gets stronger as time passes. I sometime add
Caraway seeds.

From Philippe:

1 ounce avoirdupois salt to 5 lbs cabbage.

see bookmark "Sauerkraut (French).

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.