Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> As sent to my daughters, in hopes that I'll get some. ;-)
>
> This is traditionally served at Midnight on New Year's Eve, especially in
> the South. Drop a dime in the pot when cooking. Whoever gets the dime is
> guaranteed good luck throughout the year!
>
> Let me know which one, if any, you use as a base and the results.
>
> Traditional Black Eyed Peas
>
> 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
> 6 cups water
> 1/4 pound salt pork, cut into thick slices
> 1 to 10 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 tsp salt
> 1/4 tsp pepper
> 1 tsp dried oregano
>
> In a slow cooker, combine black-eyed peas with water; soak overnight
> Cook soaked beans in water on High for 2 to 2 ½ hours or until
> tender, but not mushy. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
> Turn to Low; stir in salt pork, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano
>
> Cover & cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
>
> Drain & serve. Save broth for another day or reduce some to serve with
> peas.
>
> Can also add:
>
> ½ lb Mushrooms, thickly sliced
> 1 tsp Cumin seeds
> 1-1/2 med Onions, chopped
> 4 med Tomatoes, peeled & chopped
> 2 tsp Coriander
> 2 tsp Cumin
> ½ tsp Turmeric
> 1/4 tsp Cayenne
> 3 Tbs Cilantro, chopped
>
> ****************************
>
> Hoppin' John's Black eye peas
>
> Ingredients:
> 2 cups dried black eyed peas
> 6 cups water
> 3/4 cup onion -- chopped
> 1/4 cup celery -- chopped
> 2 pounds ham hocks [I like pigs' feet - patitas]
> 1 cup brown rice -- uncooked
> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>
> Directions:
>
> Soak peas in the 6 cups of water overnight. Transfer soaked peas and
> soaking liquid to a large pot and add onions, celery, and ham hocks. Cover
> and cook over medium heat until peas are tender but still whole, about 45
> minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Add rice and pepper,
> cover,
> and simmer for about 1 hour, or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally to
> prevent sticking. Remove meat from ham hocks and discard bones and fat
> [Huh?]. Mix meat into peas and rice. Serve hot.
>
> **************************************
> Gabriela's Spicy Black eye peas
>
> Ingredients:
> 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
> 2 quarts water
> 3 cups water
> 1 medium onion -- finely chopped
> 3 cloves garlic -- minced
> 1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles [I like Ortega brand]
> 2 teaspoons ground cumin
> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
> 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
> 1 dried or canned chipotle chile
> ½ cup short-grain brown rice
> 3 large tomatoes -- peeled & chopped
> [...]

Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these ingredients
on hand.

Measure out two cups of basmati rice, combine it with 4 cups of water and
microwave it for 20 minutes uncovered, then fluff with a fork and cover it
till you are ready for it. (Note if you are using brown rice, it takes a
lot longer to cook, so adjust your recipe accordingly)

Now while your rice is cooking, get out your large frying pan.

A couple of slices of thick bacon, sliced into smallish squares
One green pepper, chopped
One big onion, chopped
A couple of cloves of garlic, sliced
A few red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne for heat
Salt and Pepper to taste

Fry the bacon till the fat is rendered out and it is crunchy.... reserve the
bacon, then sautee the veggies in the bacon grease till they are nice and
tender (while your rice is cooking).

One can of blackeyed peas, (drained and rinsed), add to the fry pan with the
veggies, add back the bacon bits.

Toss the rice with the veggies and peas and bacon etc. Mix well then cover
till you are ready to serve.

I usually make this dish about a half an hour ahead of when I plan to serve
it, to allow the flavors to blend together before I serve it.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world