Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default God remote thermometer?

On 25-Dec-2008, "Sparkout" > wrote:

> I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
> thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a
> couple,
> but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
>
> advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
> with.

I wish I had good news. I used a 'Timex" for years. When the central unit
went west, they were no longer making them. I think I bought that one off
the wall, 'literally' at a K-Mart store. I'm currently using a pair
of "no name" therms possibly made by Oregon Scientific. I've had them
so long, I can't remember when exactly I got them. I think sometime in
'04. I bought three from overstock.com and gave one away. The other
two are still going strong. I did have to replace a battery in one of them.
They don't have a name on them, so I have no idea who actually made
them. I also have and use "Accurite' and 'Taylor' instant read probe
thermometers. I had to replace the battery in the Taylor digital not too
long ago. No big deal. I haven't had any "Remote Therms". I actually
don't really need one. I can read my therms from my Lanai door from
the inside. I have no actual experience with remote therms. I'd guess
you shouldn't leave them in the sun or rain. Otherwise, what could
happen to them? One guy a couple of years ago was clipping his
cable-probe therm on the side of his WSM. He begged for advice
after two of them failed. Never had a clue that the heat from his
smoker was cooking his therms as well.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)