Edwin Pawlowski

Default Where to buy coarse salt?

Pete wrote:
> I like my steaks grilled with coarse salt, I have had it this way in a
> steak house.
>
> I have an extra peper mill, can I just by salt and grind with this?

> I thought the rock salt would be the best, but I read the label on the
> back.
> Used for icecream and on your sidewalk.
>
> Is this the correct stuff?

Buy a salt mill. Use sea salt. Solar salt is OK but too big for the mill.
DoNOT use rock salt as it will have contaminants. It is not made for food
contact and does not contact the ice cream, only the water (brine) in the
freezer.

Don't buy overpriced sea salt at some fancy gooormet shoppe. Look in the
supermarket or some ethnic markets for it.

Or just use kosher salt.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome