Louis Cohen

Default Super Bowl Menu

Garlic Cole Slaw, from _My Kitchen in Spain_ by Janet Mendel:

1/2 cabbage (1.5 lbs)
1 t salt
1/2 t paprika
1/8 t cumin seeds
fresh ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, sliced
3 T olive oil
3 T white wine vinegar

Shred cabbage and chop finely, wash and drain. Add salt, paprika, cumin
seeds, and pepper; toss well.

Fry the garlic in the oil over medium heat until lightly golden about 3
minutes. Pour oil and garlic over the cabbage and toss. Heat vinegar and 1
T water in the same pan and pour over cabbage. Let marinate at least 30
minutes before serving.

Serve topped with pomegranite seeds or chooped apple.

Personally, I don't like to mix fruit and veggies, so I never use the
topping. I tend to use ground cumin, and more of it than in the recipe, and
more garlic. I use whatever vinegar strikes my fancy that day, often our
home-made red wine vinegar, or some nice sherry vinegar.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"