Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi[_2_] Giusi[_2_] is offline

Default Suggestions

"ViLco" ha scritto nel messaggio > SteveB wrote:

>> Are there some starter cookbooks and ways I can get headed in a new
>> direction away from pork chops and fried potatoes and gravy?

> Try "braciole di maiale" and "patate fritte e fondo bruno", LOL
> Jokes apart, is there any italian cookbook written by an italian cook and
> > translated in english? I see many books who get discussed here are

> italian > only in the title, while theyr authors are from UK or USA and
> tend to > anglicize / americanize recipes and ingredients.
> Try to find a cookbook by an italian author.
> --
> Vilco

It's very difficult to tell Italo-americans from Italians, because people
with Italian roots call themselves Italian. The Silver Spoon was published
in English last year. Not my style, but certainly Italian. Only Hazan was
born in Italy that I know for sure, but unfortunately she did not cook until
after she moved to the US. I have worked off a couple of her recipes, but
they were never great as written. It sounds like Lidia Bastianich comes
closest to cooking fairly close to the old country, but even she sometimes
makes things heavier than they would be here. My kid likes her and tells
all. People think Giada diLaurentis is Italian, but she is the Rachel Ray
of pseudo-Italian home cooking.