Posted to rec.food.cooking
Don Martinich Don Martinich is offline

Default Sirloin tip vs. rump roast

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I need to make several pounds of beef jerky this week (preferably
> tomorrow night.) I usually use beef rump roast when I'm making it for
> gifts, or beef round-steak when I'm making it for myself and I get the
> steaks on sale really cheap. (it's been about 2 years since I've seen
> any cheap beef.)
>
> I was at Sam's today and saw that they have whole sirloin tips for $2.28
> per pound. Average weight is about 10 or 12 pounds. That's comparable
> to rump roast, ain't it? Sam's has some of the best meat in town, but
> they don't have a very big selection, and they didn't have anything
> labeled "rump roast".
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Sirloin tip is at he sirloin end of the whole round. It's more versatile
than the rump and is usually cut into a largish rolled roast and things
like kebab and stroganoff meat or whatever is fashionable at the time.
One used to see braised sirloin tips at San Francisco restaurants in the
moderately priced end of the menu up until the 70's. That's a good price
for that kind of meat. No reason why it shouldn't make excellent jerky.

D.M.