Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Northern and Southern Rhones in Midtown

Anna Maria wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Again, no surprises. I had this wine a year or two ago, and even though
>> it was badly corked there was a marvelous wine underneath.
>>

> Are you joking?
> How can you recognize a good wine (sorry, even marvelous) when it's "badly"
> corked?
>
> Only if you opened a second "good" one you may say so.

The same way that I can tell that I like Beethoven's Ninth Symphony even
though there's a jackhammer making a loud noise next door to me. TCA
produces a musty, off flavor that ruins the experience for me, but it
doesn't (always) obliterate the other flavors. I could perceive the
fruit, animal and mineral notes that I value in N Rhone Syrah, though I
never drank a drop of the wine because of the reek of TCA. It is true
that TCA also produces flat, "fruit scalped" wines, so it is a testament
to the quality of this wine that I was able to get as much as I did
despite its taint.

Mark Lipton