Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Req; Copycat Campbells Pork And Beans Recipe?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:09:57 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>> And isn't it simpler just to buy a can of beans once in a while?

>Two arguments against that:
>
>1. It's hard to really appreciate something unless you've tried to make
>it yourself.
>
>2. Sometimes when you try something different, you find a new favorite.
>
>So my wife and I decided to make some baked beans from scratch. I know
>my aunt used to do this. We were discouraged, as the poster was above,
>by the sheer number of recipes that started out:
>
>2 cans [Brand X] baked beans
>
>We also talked to a lot of people who "made" their own baked beans, with
>similar instructions. I would ask them why, and they were quite
>surprised. It was just how it was done, open cans of beans, and then
>make them "theirs" by adding stuff. Unfortunately, I don't like a lot
>of sugar, and baked beans have too much sugar for my taste, and these
>"enhancements" almost always involved brown sugar or catsup.
>
>So my wife and I made baked beans two or three times. I think we took
>them to a potluck once. So now we know, just buy a can of baked beans.

I love baked beans! Too bad the rest of my family doesn't. After
knocking myself out to make baked beans for a huge picnic (by request
of the host), I finally started thinking about canned beans and how
mine differed from the various brand names. I took a can of Bush's
Beans and taste tested mine with theirs. They were identical, so I
haven't made a small batch of baked beans since. Why bother if all
you really need is enough for yourself?

Mae West