Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Has anyone tasted these Spanish wines?

There was considerable discussion about some Spanish wines, including
Sherry, in a recent thread here, so I thought someone may know some
wines I just bought, 1 bottle each, to sample.

Alvear Solera 1927 Pedro Ximenez, Montilla Moriles. I have tasted
wines from this grape before, and they were very sweet and intense
wines. The very ripe grapes are spread out on mats to dry in the sun.
The back label says that the opened bottle, if corked, will keep for
months even without refrigeration. The 1/2 bottle of this one is very
deep in color and is not cheap. Alcohol is only 16% by volume and thus
lower than in many Sherry wines.

Colosia Moscatel Soleado Dulce, 1/2 bottle. The denoninaciones de
origen is Jerez, Manzanilla, so I guess it could be called Sherry, but
a very different one from the more usual types.. This sweet wine is
made using the pasil system that suns the grapes on sand. Uses screw
cap. Alcohol level is 15% by volume.

The third Spanish wine is Senorio de Sarria Moscatel 2007, vino dulce
natural, from Navarra. It comes in a Boedeau shaped 500 ml bottle, and
is light yellow. Alcohol is 15% by volume

An unusual California white wine I also bought was Bonny Doon Le Vol
Des Anges 2006, half bottle.It is a Roussanne from Beeswax Vineyard,
Arroyo Seco, Monterey County. The Roussanne grapes in the Beeswax
vineyard had very high levels of botrytis in 2006, thus allowing
making a very sweet wine. The residual sugar is 11% and the grapes
were at 37.6 degrees at harvest. Uses screw cap. Alcohol is 14.8% by
volume.

I just received the wine today and have not started tasting it. The
wines are all likely to be from sweet to very sweet.