Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Good wines, great night ('61,'70, '90 Bdx, plus Loire anda Tuscan red)

DaleW wrote:

> Tuesday we had a couple over in late celebration of their joint
> birthdays. Alex had told me he had never had a birthyear wine, so
> thought this was a good time to try a half of '61 Gloria (with some
> backup claret). Betsy made goat cheese/chive.mustard souffles as
> starter, followed by squab in a porcini marinade with mashed potatoes,
> an endive and watercress salad, and cheese. My only culinary
> contribution was butchering the squabs (these were plucked, but Betsy
> prefers not to do entrail/head removal) and slicing the bread.
>
> With the chevre souffles, the 2007 Domane de la Charmoise Sauvignon
> (Touraine). Lemon and gooseberry, fresh and crisp, nothing especially
> complex but a clean, correct, and comfortable Sauvignon Blanc. At $12
> I'll buy again. B

Nice lineup of wines, Dale. I'm envious. How were the souffles?
Frankly, the recipe sounded too rich for me, but I'd never say that to
Jenise. I've already heard your description of the squab, so I won't
ask about that. For the record, though, squab and Burgundy is a match
made in heaven.

Mark Lipton