Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Pairing cheese-wine

On Dec 9, 5:58*am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> Hello
> Tis the time to be merry etc ... normally, we have this cheese, Tête de
> Moine (Monk's head) with our Xmas lunch. Tastes a bit like a very mature
> Appenzeller. Any idea what would be a good pairing?
> Cheers
> Nils

Since this cheese usually is found only in a few better cheese shops,
at least in the US, some might like to view a good picture of it and
the girolle used to shave it. See
http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/shopp...nd&qry=&Page=1
and scroll about half way down the page. I have had Appenzeller, but
not Tete de Moine. For something this aromatic, there likely is not
much one would drink that would over power it, so besides the several
suggestions made, I would even try some eau de vie. Although a true
eau de vie is completely dry, the fruity character of some, especially
Pear Williams, suggest some sweetness. Another fruity one to try might
be Coing. I am not sure I would like eau de vie based on stone fruit
with the cheese because of the considerable pit character they often
have. Considering the time of the year, a Baie de Houx would be a
daring match. You can not only look at holly but drink it also.
Gentiane likely would easily stand up to the cheese, but this likely
would not do in the middle of a meal because it would perfume the
whole room and the aftertaste of it could well linger into the next
course.