Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] is offline

Default Pairing cheese-wine

"The Pairing of Cheese is a difficult matter
and not just one of your holiday games.
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cheese must have THREE DIFFERENT WINES"
So - dry white (Riesling, Chardonnay, Grüner Veltliner)
dry red (Syrah, Cab, Cote du Rhone)
or rancio (Sherry, Vin Jaune, old Rivesaltes).

Or, Effaniffeffable, Deep and inscrutable, too stinky for wine - cider or
ale.

Look at it this way, then. The wine should be a bridge between an old Syrah
(Hermitage 1980) and a Rivesaltes 1973. So, not a dry white, and, I think,
not ale or cider.

Perhaps the best (but not the funniest) would be to stick with either the
Hermitage or the Rivesaltes. Sigh. Or else an old Bordeaux, as the SO does
not particularly like Sherry.

Cheers

Nils