Posted to alt.food.wine
Steve Slatcher Steve Slatcher is offline

Default Spumante or Prosecco

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:06:50 +0100, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>Raymond wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> What's the difference between Spumante and Prosecco?

>Spumante simply means "sparkling".
>
>Prosecco is a grape variety. It is also a town near Trieste.
>
>Prosecco di Conegliano/Valdobbiadene is a Spumante from the
>Valdobbiadene area in Italy.

Won't argue with any of that, but I suspect Raymond was interested in
contrasting Asti Spumante with a fizzy Prosecco.

Asti Spumante is always very sweet, made using the Muscat grape which
has a distinctive grapey flavour, and comes from Asti. It is know
known simply as Asti, which is a bit strange considering how many
other styles of wine are made in the area.

Prosecco is typically drier - more similar to a Brut Champagne.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher