Posted to rec.food.equipment
Matthew L. Martin Matthew L. Martin is offline

Default using the 'clean' feature for an oven

jt august wrote:
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>>> Good idea. Glide racks, in particular, will be ruined if they are
>>> left in the oven during self-clean. And even regular racks will
>>> lose their nice shiny finish.
>>>
>>> W.

>> How will they be ruined?

> If the slip fit is very fine, the racks can warp just a bit, perhaps
> 5-12 one-thousandths of an inch (read as 0.005 - 0.012 on a blue print).
> But this bowing can press on the glide tracks of an oven to create
> friction, thus impairing the glide.

If the manufacturer says that the racks can stay in the oven during a
cleaning cycle and they warp enough to be non-functional I would make a
warranty claim. A minor increase in friction is what happens to regular
racks left in for a cleaning cycle. I hardly see a difference.

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):