Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Cabbage for Cabbage Rolls

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Chemiker > wrote:
> >
> >> Buy and try. If the heads are not good for stuffing, they can
> >> still be OK for Corned beef, or sauteed cabbage with bacon and
> >> noodles, or some other way of preparation.

> > Here's a nice recipe. Can't be any easier to make.
> >
> > Cedric Adams' So-Good Cabbage Casserole
> > posted to rec.food.cooking again by Barb Schaller, 12-4-2008
> >
> > ? 1 medium head cabbage
> > ? 1 # lean ground beef
> > ? 1 small onion chopped
> > ? 1 can tomato soup (10-1/2 oz.)
> >
> > Shred cabbage rather coarsely. Saute ground beef with onion; heat it
> > through, but don't brown. Season to taste. Put a layer of cabbage in a
> > 2-quart casserole. Cover that with beef and onion. Add the rest of the
> > cabbage as a top layer. Over the whole business pour a can of tomato
> > soup. Cover the casserole and bake in a medium oven (350?) until the
> > cabbage is tender, 30-45 minutes. Serves 4-6. You get no back-up from
> > the cabbage. The caloric content is low. And the whole thing is lickin'
> > good.
> >
> > Source:Taste, October 16, 1974. Originally printed in one of Cedric
> > Adams' columns in the 1950s.
> >
> > Note: Be sure to use plenty of cabbage; it cooks down.
> >

> No spices at all? ('cept for the onions) Or does "season to taste" mean
> I can add lots of pepper?
>
> Still, it looks compelling. Especially because I have some shredded
> cabbage that needs to be used up, and a pound of hamburger thawed out
> already. Thanks.
>
> Bob

"Season to taste" means you can add lots of pepper. I add some, not
necessarily a lot. Nope, no other spices in the recipe ‹ its simplicity
and short ingredient list is what attracted Cedric's wife to it, I
think. She'd gotten the recipe at her beauty shop one day while getting

Don't use finely shredded cabbage, Bob.

We like it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ