Posted to alt.food.sushi
Armadillo Armadillo is offline

Default Buying sushi grade fish - need advice

> Bring an ice chest. Either 1/2 fill it with ice or buy ice at the market.
> If the fish isn't packed in a waterproof package, bring some gallon size

This is a good idea. Never thought about it though because I have 50 meters walk to home from fishmonger at the market hall. ;-)

Fish will go bad quickly even in refridgerator. This is because it is about the normal temperature for many live fishes - in a way room temperature for fish. So freezing is a good idea if you don't need the fis the same day.

I always try to buy whole fish, if not way too large, because it is easier to tell if it is fresh. Eyes should be clear, if cloudy and sunken it is not good for sushi. Also the smell should be fresh and just slightly 'fishy'. Older the fish stronger the smell. Scales should be intact and shiny and the fish should not be too slimy.

Jukka