Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
JG[_2_] JG[_2_] is offline

Default Slowing primary fermentation

On Nov 30, 5:43 am, Joe Sallustio > wrote:
> On Nov 25, 1:41 pm, JG > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 25, 10:36 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"

> > > wrote:

> > > Some wines are just like that and can't really be explained.
> > > I have 6 gallons of Vidal Blanc that was started in September along with my
> > > other whites and it is just now finishing fermentation. The rest have long
> > > since finished. What is the temperature where it is located? I have a
> > > basement and in the fall when the temperature drops down in the 60's the
> > > fermentations take longer to finish.

> > > --
> > > To reply via email, remove the obvious
> > > Paul

> > Hi Paul,
> > Yes, the wine is in a rather cool garage (definitely low 60's) and as
> > such I've been trying to warm it up to help things along. I'll keep
> > trying to get the temp a little warmer in there in hopes of getting
> > this sucker finished. In your opinion, should I just practice
> > restraint and wait it out? Like I said, the wine seems fine aside
> > from being slightly sweet. No bad odors or tastes.

> > Thanks!

> > JG- Hide quoted text -

> Stir it too, that seems to help. I swirl carboys that aren't done and
> for whatever reason stirring seems to get them going better. I have a
> Vermentino and Verdichio that are still around 1% but are still
> dropping slowly, the wine is at 60F. Warmer is more effective if
> possible.
>
> Joe

Thanks Joe! The wine is in 3 gal carboys so I have been able to put
them in a warm water bath (in my sink) and they start bubbling really
well.

I am just concerned that what I am seeing is MLF. I am not 100%
sure of the visible difference between MLF bubbles and primary ferm.
bubbles. I was getting about 5-6 airlock burps every minute. My gut
says that the bubbles are primary ferm. but the SG is not dropping (or
at least very slightly) but that might be a patience problem. I did
stir it and it seemed to get going even better.

Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks,
JG