Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber Alice Faber is offline

Default Low carb, low sodium lamb stew

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> I like to buy a couple of Lamb Shanks and put them in a pot with a can of
> tomatoes, a good half a cup of Marsala wine, some fresh garlic cloves and a
> big cut up onion. I also add a bay leaf and a bit of oregano and basil and
> a few red pepper flakes.
>
> Then I stew it until the meat is falling off the bone and the liquid is
> somewhat reduced. I usually serve this with a bit of macaroni to take
> advantage of the nice rich liquid, and if there is a lot, I will cook the
> macaroni right in it.
>
> It is so good you can't imagine, but hubby won't eat lamb, so it is
> something I have to make just for myself and serve him something else.

A few years ago, one of my supermarkets regularly had lamb shanks for an
absurdly low price ($1.99/lb sticks in my mind) and they were sometimes
on special. Needless to say, I ate a lot of lamb shanks. The thing I
remember the most is how long you had to cook them until the meat
reached that delicious tenderness.

It's been a long time, and the last time I saw them, they were too
expensive for me to buy.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."