Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Low carb, low sodium lamb stew

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>A R Pickett > wrote:
> : I bought a grass fed lamb from local rancher this fall, and yesterday
> came
> : up with this for our supper. My husband must limit sodium -
>
> : LOW CARB, LOW SODIUM LAMB STEW
>
> : 1 small onion, sliced
> : 2 T canola oil
> : 1 pound lamb stew meat
> : 1/2 tsp garlic powder
> : 3/8 tsp black pepper
> : 1 tsp sodium free chicken broth powder
> : 1 cup boiling water
> : 3/4 cup diced tomatoes, canned without salt
>
> : 2 carrots, peeled and cut in chunks
> : 1 small potato, peeled and cut into eight pieces
> : 1 small turnip, peeled and cut into eight pieces
> : 2 T chopped parseley
> : 1/2 cup red wine
> : 1 T cornstarch
> : 1 T cold water
>
> : In a heavy oven proof pan, soften the onion in the hot oil over medium
> heat,
> : and when it is close to becoming translucent, add the meat, garlic
> powder,
> : and pepper. Stir-fry for a few minutes over medium heat to combine the
> : flavors and coat the meat with the oil.
>
> : Add the chicken broth powder, the boiling water and the tomatoes. Stir
> : mix thoroughly, cover the pan and place in a 300 degree oven for an
> hour.
> : Prepare the vegetables, and add them to the stew, stir to mix
> thoroughly,
> : and return to the oven for about another hour and a half.
>
> : Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water, and add some of the hot
> liquid
> : from the stew by tablespoons, until the mixture is about a 1/3 of a cup
> in
> : volume. Add the cornstarch mixture and the winde to the stew, stir to
> mix
> : thoroughly, and return to the oven for about another 45 minutes.
>
> : Makes four servings.
>
> : I compute the entire recipe to have 3 carbs - one each in the
> cornstarch,
> : the potato, and the turnip. So less than 1 carb per serving.
>
> : For persons who are not limiting sodium, use garlic salt in place of
> garlic
> : powder, beef or chicken broth powder which is prepared with salt, and
> : regular canned tomatoes. However, this really tastes just fine as
> written
> : above!
>
> : --
> : A R Pickett aka Woodstock
>
> Funny you sould send this as I also just made a lamb stew last week. I
> used 2 lbs of boneless lamb, one huge onion(spanish) 3 cloves of garlic, ,
> 28 oz an of tomatos, about 5 large carrots(I love he tase of carrots
> cooked in stew) cut in chunks, geenpepper, 3 madium peeled turnips,
> several stalksof celery, a big glogg of red wine, a can of chicken broth,
> FGBP, 3 ling stalkes of rosemary. i would have put in some bay leaves,
> [...]

That sounds delicious Wendy.

I like to buy a couple of Lamb Shanks and put them in a pot with a can of
tomatoes, a good half a cup of Marsala wine, some fresh garlic cloves and a
big cut up onion. I also add a bay leaf and a bit of oregano and basil and
a few red pepper flakes.

Then I stew it until the meat is falling off the bone and the liquid is
somewhat reduced. I usually serve this with a bit of macaroni to take
advantage of the nice rich liquid, and if there is a lot, I will cook the
macaroni right in it.

It is so good you can't imagine, but hubby won't eat lamb, so it is
something I have to make just for myself and serve him something else.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

(Our) enemies are not man. They are intolerance, fanaticism, dictatorship,
cupidity, hatred and discrimination, which lie within the heart of man." --
Thich Nhat Hanh